Optional volunteer duties within 3 months of attendance
- Help the Organiser set up and pack down at the beginning and end of group meetings
- Offer to keep in touch with fellow group members who would appreciate a friendly phone call or visit.
- Assist with your groups hosting of the Area Social or Group Social
- Offer your vehicle and be the driver for transporting members to camps and social events
- Offer to be a support person to group leaders when they promote the group or GROW in general e.g. at public events i.e. talks and display tables
- Offer to help fundraise e.g. Warehouse or Mitre10 sausage sizzles
At the Centre
- Offer to do light cleaning or tidying duties, particularly after a training event or social e.g. wash & dry dishes, tidy and put away, vacuum. The next day or so: wash floors, clean toilets/hand basins, wash & dry tea towels.
- Ongoing general Centre maintenance as required e.g. Clean windows, weed garden, clean fridge, defrost freezer, clean oven, clean BBQ, clean shower, make beds, vacuum couches
- Light office duties e.g. computer work, filing, photocopying, scanning, assisting coordinator especially in the days leading up to a weekend camp & training day.
Optional volunteer duties after 3 months of attendance
- Make it known that you can be the extra person available when required to make a group quorum (3 people) in a group other than your own. (But first, seek the permission of your own group Organiser and the Organiser of the group you want to support).
- Offer to be the understudy for roles of Group Recorder, Organiser, Sponsor, Treasurer, Centre Coordinator or other tasks.
- Offer your spoken GROW testimony in the group or as a written submission for the newsletter.
- Write interesting and encouraging articles for the newsletter.
- Assist the Centre Coordinator edit or produce the newsletter.
- Attend COGS public meetings and be an understudy for writing online grant applications.
- Be the understudy for leaders at public speaking events promoting GROW or at GROW training day talks
Volunteer duties after two or three years (the years is an approximate guide only)
- Lead and organise training talks
- Serve and represent fellow members and groups at O&R, Area Program & NPT meetings.
- Train upcoming members to assist with public talks promoting GROW
- Offer to convene GROW weekend camps
- Be available when called upon to fulfill any number of roles in the organization
- Learn creative ways of delegating tasks and walking alongside so that you can “be on tap but not on top”.
Volunteer duties also wanted according to your profession or trade
- IT or computer skills e.g. maintain a website and Facebook page
- Handyman, builder, plumber, electrician, painter, lawns and hedge trimming
- Lawyer, Accountant, Writer, Journalist
Become a GROW Volunteer
By volunteering we are able to enjoy the satisfaction of giving back to the Grow Community, ensuring that the Program will be available to others in need. We are empowered to make a difference. When we lead by example by being part of a Grow team we show others Grow’s caring and sharing community in action.
Listed below are some character qualities members have acquired through working as a volunteer. Employers look favourably upon skills and qualities enhanced through this type of work. References can be issued for prospective employers. Looking at these talents, how many would you like to tick and add to your CV?
Achieved Personal Growth
Learnt to Decentralise
Developed Cooperation Skills
Showed Regard for Others
Developed Organisational Skills
Developed Communication Skills
Met Great People
Built Confidence and Self Worth
Built Personal Resources
Became Caring & Sharing
Through volunteering you will also achieve principals of GROW’s last three steps of a Grower’s Recovery and Personal Growth:
- Step 10 – We took our responsible and caring place in society
- Step 11 – We grew daily closer to maturity
- Step 12 – We carried GROW’s hopeful and transforming message to others in similar need
GROW NZ currently has around 40 part time volunteers who undertake important leadership roles and many more who offer their time or expertise. On behalf of the GROW community we wish to thank all persons who freely give of their time to volunteer.
Note: You may find, in your volunteering role, you are unable to offer your time because of an unaffordable expense associated with a task. If that is the case, please speak to your Group Organiser or the person you are reporting to beforehand to ask if there is a budget available to reimburse out-of-pocket expenses.
So don’t delay, Click here to volunteer now – it’s a wonderful opportunity for growth within the safe and supportive Community of Grow.
GROW National Program Team.